5th July 2012
A Group Training Organisation - What to Expect
So you’ve decided to use a Group Training Organisation to help grow your technical staff and develop your workforce. And it makes sense too with all the hassle that can go with finding, training and developing apprentices and trainees. Not to mention the paperwork. It takes up a lot of your time and resources when you could be concentrating on what you do best – growing your business.
Recent market research conducted with businesses that currently use and enjoy Group Training Organisation (GTO) services point to six redeeming qualities. So, here’s what to expect from a your GTO:
- Strong Customer Service Focus: Businesses using a GTO said that customer service and strong working relationships were vital. You should expect your GTO to work WITH you in building your business. They’ll do this by taking the time to understand your business and your specific short and long term workforce development goals.
- Consistent High Quality of Candidates: You don’t just want ANY body, you want the RIGHT body…right? You should expect your GTO to supply to you high quality apprentices and trainees that match your business – and there should be a solid process for identifying quality apprentices and trainees so they are fit, reliable and ready to work in your business.
- Flexibility: You’ll use a GTO because you want flexibility. If times are tough or the work dries up you want to know the apprentices and/or trainees will be taken care of. You can hand them back or bring more on as you and your business demands. You should also expect this flexibility to come at NO extra cost to your business.
- Efficient Response Times: you should expect your GTO field staff to be ready to respond to issues in a prompt manner. Many quality GTOs have a policy around this and it’s worth asking for it in writing. If a problem or safety issue arises you want to know they will be on the spot in an efficient timeframe, not days later because they’re “busy”. A simple thing like taking days to return a phone call or email may paint a picture of a failure in this area so take care.
- Strong Commitment to OH & S: You take OH & S seriously and so should your GTO. You should expect the GTO to understand your policies and your workplace so they can inform any apprentices and trainees that come to work with you of any typical or inherent dangers. See how many GTOs can show you their policy and OH & S strategy in writing. Not many can.
- Field Staff Who Know Their Stuff: A GTO’s field staff need to be highly trained so they can give you the very best service possible and take the very best care of the apprentices and trainees. Anything less and it can get a bit risky…
You’re probably thinking these are pretty straightforward expectations to have – and you’d be right – but finding a quality GTO that can deliver on all of the above might prove to be a much harder task than you first think.
Thankfully, MIGAS Apprentices & Trainees lead the industry in great customer service, high quality candidates, flexibility, response times, OH & S Policy and more. Combined with well trained staff, many with years of trade experiences themselves, and you’ve got yourself a great GTO to help you develop your workforce. But don’t take my word for it, read the many testimonials that have been given to us.
National Business Development Manager
Group Training Organisation