How do I apply for a scholarship?
1. Review Scholarship Choices: Examine the scholarship options mentioned above.
2. Preparation: Reflect on your achievements during your apprenticeship. Draft 1-2 paragraphs in response to the selection criteria questions for your category using the Word documents provided above.
3. Advise your Host Supervisor: If applying for a Top Performer MiScholarship you will be asked to provide your Host Supervisor's details. This is someone who knows your work, and can provide a statement or support for your MiScholarship application.
Upon submission of your online application, your nominated supervisor will receive a copy of your answers to the Top Performer scholarship questions, along with a request to complete a supporting questionnaire.
4. Discuss with your Field Officer: Discuss your intention to apply with your Field Officer. They can provide guidance and support.
5. Online Submission: Complete the online application form. Ensure you respond to all questions.
- Eligibility: Only current MIGAS apprentices and trainees can apply.
- Application Limit: You can apply for only one scholarship or grant.
What timing can I expect during this process?
- Applications open on 20 October 2023
- Applications close on 17 November 2023
- In November 2023, final shortlisting for the MiScholarship Program will occur
- In December 2023, shortlisted applicants will be asked to submit a brief supporting video presentation
- During National Apprenticeship Week, 12-18 February 2024, the final selection of scholarship recipients will be announced
Who can apply for a MIGAS scholarship?
The MiScholarship Program is open to any apprentice or trainee employed by MIGAS who is currently undertaking their placement (including those on suspension).
Additional criteria for each category are included in the details above and on the application form.
How many scholarships are on offer?
On offer are up to 21 scholarships and grants totalling $27,000 across the following categories:
- Top Performer Apprentice & Trainee MiScholarships: $2,000 – up to 5 awarded
- Top Performer Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander MiScholarship: $2,000 each – up to 2 awarded
- Top Performer Women in Trades MiScholarship: $2,000 each – up to 2 awarded
- Access and Equity MiScholarships: $2,000 each – up to 2 awarded
Additionally, up to 10 Gear Up Grants of $500 each are available to provide MIGAS apprentices and trainees with a cash boost to support their ongoing training or overcome an issue that may be impacting them at work or home.
Can I apply for more than one MiScholarship category?
No. Please apply for the MiScholarship category that you feel is most appropriate for you.
The MiScholarship Selection Panel may consider your application for a different category at its discretion.
I previously received a MiScholarship, can I apply again this year?
No, previous recipients of MiScholarships are unable to apply again. However, if you applied before but did not receive a scholarship, you may apply again.
I'm a Host Employer - can I nominate my apprentice or trainee?
Host Employers are asked to encourage their apprentices and trainees to submit an application for a scholarship or grant where applicable.
You will be asked to complete a short questionnaire to supplement the application, which is where you can express your support and provide feedback on their performance and how the apprentice or trainee meets the selection criteria.
How are the MiScholarship recipients selected?
MiScholarships will be awarded with consideration to a range of factors including but not necessarily limited to:
- Host employer feedback
- Extracurricular activities or community work
- Financial need
- Training results
- Conduct throughout the employment period
Overcoming challenges such as financial and personal hardships and/or distance to secure an apprenticeship will also be considered in all categories.
MiScholarships will be awarded on the merit of each application.
What does the application process involve?
The application process for the MiScholarship Program involves the following steps:
1. Online Application: All applications are made online. We have designed the online submission process to be straightforward and efficient, ensuring a hassle-free experience for applicants.
2. First Round: All applications will be assessed by the MiScholarship Industry Panel.
3. Second Round: Candidates who successfully pass the First Round will receive a follow-up video link. They will be required to record their responses to some follow-up questions.
4. Final Selections: The MiScholarship Industry Panel will review all final submissions and select the recipients.
When do MiScholarship applications close?
Applications close on 17 November 2023.
Please remember to give your Host Employer and Field officer plenty of time and notice to complete their supporting statements prior to this date.
Both Host Employer and Field Officer statements will need to be submitted by this date for your application to be valid.
When will the final winners be announced?
The final selection of scholarship and grant recipients will be announced during National Apprenticeship Week, 12-18 February 2024.
Why a Scholarship Program?
The MiScholarship Program is deliberately not an awards program. We have designed it to be a scholarship program with a clear mission to provide tangible support to our apprentices and trainees. While recognising and celebrating their exceptional achievements is important, the heart of this program lies in offering financial assistance and opportunities for growth.
By awarding scholarships and grants, we aim to empower our apprentices and trainees, enabling them to pursue their career aspirations, overcome challenges, and continue their journey of excellence within the industry. This program is not just about acknowledging their accomplishments but also about investing in their future success.
This is why scholarship recipients are unable to win each year, as we strive to reach as many deserving individuals as possible and make a meaningful impact on their professional journey.