If you're an employer looking to hire an apprentice or trainee, MIGAS is here to help.
Finding and retaining talented, hard-working employees is a challenge for many businesses. That's why taking on an apprentice is an excellent option for those looking to expand their workforce.
Why? In a nutshell, hiring an apprentice or trainee means you train and supervise the new worker in your business context, guiding them on your processes, organisational requirements, behaviours and expectations. As a result, you'll be developing the next generation of tradespeople to expand and enhance your business.
Apprenticeships and traineeships in Australia
Australian Apprenticeships are a recognised program of on-the-job and nationally recognised training, covering both apprentice and trainee opportunities. Training for an apprentice in a trade specialisation typically takes around four years, while traineeships are often in non-trade sectors with a 12 to 24 month duration. Read more about the difference between apprenticeships and traineeships.
Navigating the employer requirements of taking on an Australian Apprentice can be overwhelming and time-consuming, which is why working with a Group Training Organisation (GTO) like MIGAS Apprentices & Trainees is a huge time saver.
Partnering with us means you can get on with growing your business while we look after the administration, payroll, training management, and support of your apprentice or trainee.
Working with MIGAS – How it works
MIGAS specialises in employing and placing apprentices and trainees in traditional trades and related industries. Our reason for being is to support businesses and their investment in the Australian Apprenticeship workforce.
We will find and recruit the ideal candidate based on your business needs through a rigorous screening and interview process. Once you have selected the apprentice or trainee that's right for you, MIGAS employees the candidate.
As their legal employer, we will manage the administrative requirements of Australian Apprenticeships, which include:
- Selecting and coordinating the apprentice's off-the-job training at TAFE or specialise Registered Training Organisation
- The entire payroll function including superannuation and leave management
- Facilitation, preparation and managing compliance for their Training Contract submission with the Government
- Performance and progression management to ensure the apprentice is developing the skills and behaviours required of their role
- Programmed worksite visits and ongoing mentoring of the apprentice during their training
- Supply of uniforms and PPE for the apprentice as required by your worksite
We take care of these requirements so you can focus on your business and the supervised training of the apprentice or trainee.
What does it cost to take on apprentice or trainee?
At MIGAS our rates are clear and packaged into each easy-to-understand invoice that aligns with the apprentice's pay cycle.
Once the apprenticeship/traineeship role requirements are determined, we will provide you with a comprehensive service rate quotation to highlight all inclusions and additional service options.
Government wage subsidies available now
Until 30 June 2022, the Federal Government is offering Australian Apprenticeship wage subsidies to support businesses taking on new apprentices and trainees. Those eligible can gain access to:
- 50 per cent of the eligible Australian Apprentice's wages in the first year, capped at a maximum payment value of $7,000 per quarter per Australian Apprentice
- 10 per cent of the eligible Australian Apprentice's wages in the second year, capped at a maximum payment value of $1,500 per quarter per Australian Apprentice
- 5 per cent of the eligible Australian Apprentice's wages in the third year, capped at a maximum payment value of $750 per quarter per Australian Apprentice
Contact us to determine if your business is eligible for these and other wage subsidies.
For nearly 35 years, MIGAS Apprentices & Trainees has worked with businesses across Australia, both large and small, covering traditional trade specialisations and industries. We work across Queensland, New South Wales, Victoria, South Australia and Western Australia.
Find out about the trades and non-trade Australian Apprenticeships we specialise in:
- Metal and Engineering Apprenticeships
- Automotive and Mechanical Apprenticeships
- Electrical Apprenticeships
- Construction Apprenticeships
- Traineeships including Business Administration, Warehousing and Trades Sales